You are here: Home » Pro
PRO LOCO STORY
The first Pro Loco, that were born in the far 1881, were called “Comitati
di cura” (Care Committees) and as already happened in other
European countries, they assumed several denominations: “Comitati
di cura”, “Società per il concorso dei forestieri”, “Associazioni
per il movimento dei forestieri”, “Società di
abbellimento” or simply “Pro”.
The name Pro Loco was in a short time extended to every Local
Tourist Association and because of that the Pro Loco can be
considered the first Italian receptive tourist associations.
The first legislative moment that interest the Pro Loco goes
back to 1920 and precisely to the session of June 25th.
The next year (1921) was published the first book about the
history of the Pro Loco: “la funzione e l’organizzazione delle
In the post-war period the Pro Loco took again their activity
and just on June 29th , 1962, during the Congress of the Pro
Loco Trivenete, that took place in Recoaro, it was suggested
of an association that had a coordination and representative
duty on an international level.
In September of the same year, was born the UNPLI (national
union of Italian Pro loco), that already in 1965 obtained
of the Pro Loco’s National Register at the Tourism and Show
Ministry. This Register became “regional” and in some
cases “provincial” through the transfer of the competences
about the tourism to the regions.
In Italy the Pro Loco are almost 6000; 650.000 are the members;
20000 the successful events and performances.
Up to date to 2006.
See Statutes and regulations